Thursday, October 9, 2008

HIP HOP..... DEAD?

Who was the coroner who proclaimed HIP HOP deceased.
I'd like to meet this person, to ask what pulse you took,
& have them convince me of the cause.
I need a time, a date & a place.
'Cause I swear HIP HOP & I were intimate just yesterday.
The words of Lupe, the Fiasco, tip toed cross the rim of my ear,
Wayne's lyrical symphonies massaged the nape of my neck,
the nostalgic beats of the Cool Kids causing me to clinch my teeth on the brink of xstasy.

Please dear Sir or ma'am, present me with the corpse of HIP HOP.
Show me the casket, the urn, the burial grounds...The"something".
Because as we speak HIP HOP is thrivig, flying to every coast of every sea.
Its magnitude gracing the eyes of a young Asian boy,
as he payed witness to a Hype Williams visual masterpiece, just this morning.
It danced a young Harlem girl across her cozy bedroom,
as Ja Rule played in the background, just this afternoon.
It culturally diffused the ears of a London audience,
as a B-boy Crew , pop locked, to "Planet Rock", on the steps of Big Ben, just this eve.


Proof...You have none
Evidence...You are severely lacking
This a speculation began by the same persons it was created by & for.
Seeing their creation grow to their uncomfortability,
they now try & lay it to rest.
Rather than respecting & encouraging HIP HOP's business sense,
they befriend its opposers and faciitate its demise.
Respect HIP HOP's business savvy.
Growing to become a major international power.
Placing its headquarters where ever a rhythm can be beat out.
Diversifying its stocks.... never relinquishing its hold on the Ol' School,
& in the form of DC go-go, bay area hyphy, baltimore club music, & many others has added new brand lines.


I speak to those internal demisers & tell them stop... STOP!!!!...
trying to strip our youth...their youth...
of experiencing the gift we've so hard tried to keep alive.
Allow us the opportunity to be future Soulja Boy's,
to fathom magical beats & to step into the studio bringing them into life,
rather than taking away life's..... hustling rock on the streets,
beating our feet til we leave someone's life on the concrete.

Our laps are not the place where the world's problems should sit.
Gun violence suicide, & rape do not solely belong to our "rap" sheet.
If no one else shall this young man will.
With the quitessential beats of Sugar Hill's "Rappers Delight"
blending with that of Kurtis Blow's "The Breaks"
mixed over the words a Kanye's lyrical masterpiece "Jesus Walks",
I press play & present you HIP HOP....still alive, still thriving & forever changing.
With pens still illustrating thoughts on paper HIP HOP fights back...
Kids doing the 5000 in the street..... HIP HOP fights back...
The streets an urban runway, baggy jeans & white tees HIP HOP fights back...
Proof in this literature that HIP HOP's heart still has beat....
I mean beat still has heart...
Now someone....please...I dare you....OPPOSE ME!!!!

No comments: